PUMPKIN PIE is fine, pumpkin spice is nice, pumpkin butter is better … but homemade pumpkin cake? Well, now that’s got our heart racing and our lips smacking. There is just something about warm pumpkin cake dressed with cream cheese icing that makes the fall season just so much sweeter. Check out Publisher Julie Hostetter’s mom’s recipe for a sweet fall treat that you will want to keep.
HOMEMADE PUMPKIN CAKE
2 c. white sugar
1 c. cooking oil
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 c. pumpkin (15 oz. can)
FOR CREAM CHEESE ICING
½ stick butter
4 oz. cream cheese
2 c. powdered sugar
• Beat eggs, white sugar and cooking oil.
• Sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder and salt and then add egg mixture.
• Add one can of pumpkin and mix until smooth.
• Grease and flour a 9-by13 pan and pour pumpkin mixture into pan, using spatula to spread to corners if necessary.
• Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. (If you prefer a bundt pan, bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes.)
• When out of oven, mix all the icing ingredients together until smooth. After cake has cooled, pour and spread icing over cake.